Roam Hidden Features

What are your favorites - inspired by this thread

2 Likes

I use the {{comment-button}} feature that allows me to put comments on stories and articles that I am researching, providing feedback, or drafting myself.

I found this mining the Help database, and tried it for myself. I used to use the comments functionality when I used Workflowy. Now I can add comments wherever it make sense to me.

7 Likes

Sounds cool. How exactly do I use it: is it a part of the system and typing this: {{comment-button}} brings it into play. thanks.

1 Like

Yes, it is part of the system. I use it as follows:

At the end of a block, I put a {{comment-button}}. When I have added the comment button, there is a clickable icon that appears.

When you click on the icon, then you can add comments for that section.

Everytime you click on the icon, you add another comment.

All the comments are maintained in a separate page called Roam/Comments.

13 Likes

Hmmmm. When I did it, nothing appeared in the block itself, but the comment appeared in the sidebar window [labelled as Block Outline and only the single item appeared. Is that your experience?

1 Like

It seems to only appear when you hover over the block. Otherwise it is invisible. It would seem more useful if it was easier to notice.

3 Likes

@mzantsi good suggestion - and I wonder if that can be fixable with CSS code. hold on a sec, let me consult the CSS wizards that I know… BRB … (i hope haha)

1 Like

That’s correct - It truly is a hidden feature :wink:. There is a reference link that does appear to the right when a comment exists so you don’t have to hover over all of your blocks to see if there is a comment.

2 Likes

Yes, that is correct. I make my comments in the sidebar.

1 Like

This is definitely a secret! Just tried it out and thinking about how this might be useful for me.

2 Likes

I’d love to see the moral equivalent of Shift-J in vim, that “joins” two separate lines together. In insert mode, it would have to be something like Ctrl-j. (^j)

1 Like

you can do that with Auto Hot Key (or some equivalent), and add the following to your keyboard shortcuts:
!j::
Send {HOME}
Send {SPACE}
Send {HOME}
Send {BACKSPACE}
Return

2 Likes

What does the number 3 next to the icon stand for?

1 Like

Good question. I have found that there is no relevance to the number 3. Initially I thought it indicated the number of comments associated with that particular block. I was wrong. It is only an icon with a number 3.

3 Likes

Great find! Thank you.

Weirdly enough, the counter is always on 3. Maybe this is an alpha (or deprecated) feature? A bit like {{character-count}} was replaced by {{count}}.

1 Like

Thx for the tip! It is very helpful. I am wondering how can I check my comment without creating another one?

1 Like

If you have comments you want to check, you can always go to your [[Roam/Comments]] page.

1 Like

Okey
Get it , thank you

I don’t get it… can you please give an example?

1 Like

Why isn’t there documentation? I’m aware of the Welcome to Roam pages and tutorial videos, but I would much rather not watch hours of video when all I want to do might be to scroll through all the features, not having to read everything about Roam on the internet to find a thing like the {{comment-button}} trick. Why is there such a thing as a hidden feature? For the techy/bookish people that comprise the user base here, I would think documentation would be a much more helpful thing than videos, some third party tutorials and a small smattering from the founder?

1 Like