Roam for Teachers

I’m an educator and advocate in the K-12 space.

I see tremendous potential for Roam to support teachers in becoming the change-makers, collaborators and knowledge-workers they need to be in order to move our educations systems into their next iteration.

As a starting point, I see Roam as the everyday hub for class teachers to use for planning, assessing, reporting, reflecting and personal/professional development. I’m working on some systems, templates and workflows for how this might look.

Beyond the day-to-day, Roam has the potential to engage teachers in collective knowledge-building - the days of isolation in your own classroom are at an end (or should be in my opinion!) and I see huge potential for system wide change and growth by encouraging teachers to re-imagine their practice as life-long learners who model the skills and capacities we are charged to instil in students.

Roam also has the potential for highlighting educational research and thought in a public database so that educators can see where they are in the progression of knowledge over time and build their own expertise.

And so much more…

So far I haven’t encountered other K-12 educators using Roam but hope to recruit more and populate this thread with some great ideas.

6 Likes

If you’ve not read it you might like this article about the author’s children using Roam in their lives.

2 Likes

Hi @JennS

Very interesting comments… I’ve been thinking a lot about this.

I will soon start a new semester teaching 250 2nd-year math students. This time I am planning everything with roam and it’s been … enlightening. With online teaching, lots of course design decisions to be done.

I am looking forward to suggestions on… anything basically, but mostly on growing knowledge as a group with my students. Also keen on knowing if there are any group educational licences planned. I long for the day fine management of a group of students will be available in roam!

Roam Research

Roam Research – A note taking tool for networked thought.

As easy to use as a word document or bulleted list, and as powerful for finding, collecting, and connecting related ideas as a graph database. Collaborate with others in real time, or store all your data locally.

related tweet:

twitter.com

Alysson M Costa (alycosta)

@RoamResearch + @piazza tentative workflow for curating group knowledge in a #orms course to 250 second year math students. I wish roam had a group educational licence. #roamcult

3:36 AM - 30 Jul 2020

Great to be part of this community.

Alysson