Option to default Daily Notes page names to YYYY-MM-DD

Roam’s Daily Notes is almost exactly the way I stored my notes in Notion for the previous year. I made a daily page, and then linked out from there.

But I used my preferred date format: YYYY-MM-DD. I would like the ability to use that format in my graph.

23 Likes

TBH this would be my preferred format as well, and what I use in other platforms.

6 Likes

Agreed, but without the separators for me

2 Likes

Would like the option to use any other preferred date format. I like mm/dd/yy or yyyy.

4 Likes

This is the “support other date formats” issue on GitHub: https://github.com/Roam-Research/issues/issues/146

There it has 15 more thumbs-up.

4 Likes

Hey. That would be great!
Just one question: why do you need the leftmost two characters if they will always be “20__”. We won’t be alive in the 2100s. So the first two characters are unnecessary I think. Or is there any benefit of making it longer than YYMMDD ?
I used “YYMMDD-Subject” for all my journal entries, picture folder, classes, etc.
e.g.:
191231-This-is-the-last-day-of-last-year
201022-This-is-today

1 Like

I’m not ruling out being alive in the 2100s. I would only be 122 years old in 2100, that’s doable. The Methuselah Foundation is working on it: https://www.mfoundation.org/

Plus, as a member of Long Now, I’m open to using the 02100 formatting too, to future-proof my notes for the next 10,000 years

3 Likes

I use YYYY-MM-DD, because it’s the ISO 8601 and RFC 3339 standard.

7 Likes

Past entries also matter. I can think of plausible scenarios of wanting to add something to a 19xx Daily Notes page.

4 Likes

Those of us entering notes from the 1900s and using daily pages to construct chronologies for earlier centuries rely on the YYYY format.

2 Likes

YYYY-MM-DD across roam would be very helpful.

3 Likes

It looks like the best solution would be to allow for Custom date formatting.

For example, no one voted for it but people like me who live in Europe use DD-MM-YYYY. So that’s, what, 5-6 different variants people might want. Best to just make it customizable.

This issue is also being discussed over on GitHub if you want to weigh in.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Let’s not repeat past mistakes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Certainly the ability to select from multiple formats. I don’t want the date suffix (“th”, “st”, etc) in my titles.

3 Likes

Key here is being able to easily convert dates to a NUMERIC format so that calculations can be completed on the dates more easily.

Like Excel.

How the date is visually presented in the UI should be user preference.

5 Likes

The problem with the European system is that it doesn’t have the ability to be chronologically ordered which is fundamental when dealing with time prefixes!

That’s why the international standard ISO 10-digit format is “DD-MM-YYYY”.
And the abbreviated 6-digit ISO for short prefixes is “YYMMDD”.

Though, i must admit, Europeans have the metrical system which is way better more useful than the anachronic imperial system. If we want logic and ease of use to rule the world, USA should adopt the metric system from Europe, and Europe adopt the date order format from ISO. :slight_smile:

Haha, of course, I wouldn’t suggest using YYMMDD for an institutional library, historical archive, or any other transcendental venture. :upside_down_face:

But for a mere living creature that will be creating content only during the XXI century (like I am), I find the 6-digit prefix much more useful than wasting all 10 characters just for the date prefix on the little space for a file name.

Of course, this is a very personal choice. I did it mostly because when searching on my saturated archive, a 10 character prefix uses mostly all the name preview space and I cannot read the more important data that comes after the prefix!

I think I just weighted what is more critical in my organizational system and found out that gaining 4 characters gives me more advantages than the possibility of someday having to file something with a different century than XXI, which as I only use this system to file and archive my artwork and content production, I will never need to use a different first two digits than “20” if I used the YYYYMMDD.

You might think, that just 4 digits difference is not that big of a deal, but being a multidisciplinary artist I also use some other prefixes to indicate Area, Discipline, Platform, (along with creation date of course) so every character gained on the file naming counts a lot for me if I want to keep those file names readable!

I repeat (just in case) that this is not optimal but is what works best for me considering I had to give up some benefit in order to achieve a more legible archive. But I don’t mean this to be a standard, I was asking other opinions here to see if other “single-century” creators found this 4-digit prefix date is an advantage on their systems, too. Organizational systems might be a constant work of improvement, so it is nice to know other approaches, too :slight_smile: