How to attribute a quote - page ref or block ref to the author?

I’m curious to know how others approach this. When attributing a quote it’s customary to add the author’s name:

One always has exaggerated ideas about what one doesn't know. - Albert Camus

There are two ways to handle quote attribution. A page ref seems the most obvious because it will link to everything about the author in the database:

One always has exaggerated ideas about what one doesn't know. - [[Albert Camus]]

But a block ref is more like a footnote and seems to give more detailed context.

In this example the block ref links to the Author:: [[Natalie Goldberg]] block in the page of the book which the quote is from.

Now we have not only the author’s attribution but also where the quote is from. It could be a book, and article, etc. The number in the quote block also shows where it is cited—in this example it’s also linked in the [[Aphorisms]] page

Does this seem like a good way to cite quotes? I wonder if I’m missing something in the big picture here or over complicating things.

4 Likes

FWIW I just found this:

It’s more around formal academic citations but it has some good insight into why using blocks is better than using pages when attributing to an author.

10 Likes

That’s pretty brilliant. Thanks for sharing, @solow.