Blocks in Roam III: A Page for your Blocks and Versions

Check this out from https://twitter.com/richsicist?s=20

This is the third post in a series of posts on using Roam for research. This one is about using a page to gather all blocks that work as tags or categories.

In previous posts I talked about using blocks to declutter the amount of pages in your graph (database) and a specific use of them as bibliographical entries in a reference page. You can read those posts here, and here.This post is just an extension of those two. After you figured some pages that are just used for categories are better off as blocks, you can put together all those blocks into one page so it’s easy for you to keep track of them. This is not necessary, but it can be helpful to some people. Here’s a snapshot of mine

4 Likes

Great content!! keep going!!

How does one view all the 'Versions" as a list once I have created the versions?

Hi! Thanks a lot for writing these three articles, I found them really valuable. I feel pretty excited about starting to use blocks, instead of pages, for “tags” (not in the Roam sense, but in the generic sense), items that need referencing often (e.g. concepts, theorems) and bib entries.

But I find myself still a bit confused about the ‘decluttering’ advantage of using blocks vs pages.
In particular: is the main benefit of decluttering being able to view unexpected/insightful connections on your graph overview specifically, or also more generally?

If the former, I’m curious to know an example of the kind of insight you’ve had from a decluttered graph overview. Or some general intuitions you have about how these insights arise.

If the latter, I’m curious to hear a bit more how you actually spot those connections (given that it doesn’t involve “staring at your graph overview” or something).