Best Practices: [[[[Links]] Within Pages]]

Hi all,

With an example in the title, I’m wondering how you all handle situations where a page is referenced within another page title? (e.g., an article within a publication, an episode within a podcast)

Example below of how I tagged an article that belongs to a newsletter. I want to keep the newsletter title in the page name, so that I can easily find and identify it later on. But, duplicating the newsletter title in a metadata with this format feels like redundant effort.

• Read [[[[Stratechery]] - Stripe: Platform of Platforms]]

The downside of this format is that this gets unwieldy with multiple sub-links and I have to make sure to click in the right spot. Has anyone else tried to do something similar? What has worked best for you?

For sub-links, that’s exactly what I do. I was graphing a book and have a lot of [[[[FirstName]] [[LastName]]]] pages for characters. It’s worked well-enough for me that way.

As for where to put the newsletter title, I think it’s just a matter of how you’ll best find it. Yes, it looks redundant if you have a list of [[[[Newsletter]] - Title]] links on the [[Newsletter]] page, but it’s very functional.

2 Likes

I use bold to hint where I should click.

Examples;

[[[[FOLDERS]] for [[AREAS PROJECTS]]]]

[[[[December, 8th, 2020]] TODO for [[AREAS PROJECTS]]]]

4 Likes

+1 This is the way I do it too.

1 Like

Got it, so I’m not crazy for using this format, haha.

Thanks for the replies, I like the idea to change the aesthetic, like bolding. Maybe there’s a custom css solution worth exploring.

Do you ever nest 3 layers? Then we’re back to “not obvious whether the bold text is the link or a sublink”.

I’ve done it, but not super often. My habit has been to do all of my nesting on the left-hand side of the link, so that I can click on the last word and expect to get to my page.

I tend to use nested links instead of metadata on the page. It feels way more natural for my style.

1 Like

I do the same. I wish there was autocomplete when editing a page title with brackets.

1 Like